Group 3: Aspects of Organizing a Conference
As summarized by the group, the following hints to consider when organizing a conference were noted:
· A conference with lesser participants (small conference) is easier to organize and manage. Hence, participation of each one is insured;
· The interest of organizers and participants is determined. by their enthusiasm and involvement;
· Hassles are avoided if there is early confirmation of venue, affordability rate of registration and other costs. Likewise, participants need to confirm as early as possible.
· Letter of invitation specifies the itemized cost, exact address of venue and how to reach it, contact persons, documents needed for people who need visa;
· Brief information about the host country is needed such as the weather, tourist destinations, historical events, money exchange, language, common expressions used, etc.
· Publicity of the conference may attract others who are interested; and
· Continuous update is needed.
In planning a conference, the planning committee gets the suggestion from the members as to theme, dates and other sub-topics. They make these details final.
Success in any endeavor is attained if there are working committees that take the responsibility. Committees may include the following:
· General Services (Sound System)
· Stage Preparation/Decoration
· Documentation (Print or Non-print)
Yvonne Belen Facilitator
Rhino Oblas Reporter