by Yvonne Belen
The Igorot Cordillera BIMAAK Europe (ICBE) held its 5th Consultation on April 10-13, 2009 at the Haus Sonnenau in Vallendar, Germany. The theme was "Igorot Cordillera Rituals: Their Features and Significance." Contact persons were: Severino "Rhino" Oblas, Jane Klee-Morgens, Norma Bayoya-Wellhausen, and Mario Guinyawan. There were 82 participants - first, second, and third generation Igorots. The organizations represented were: Igorot Organization Austria (Igorot-Austria), Cordillera Community in Belgium (Cordi Bel), BIBAK Ireland, BIBAK Switzerland, Igorot UK and Igorot Global Organization (IGO). Other Igorot participants came from Canada, Germany, The Netherlands, Sweden, USA and the Philippines.
The Consultation‟s main features were:
1. Seminar-workshop on "Photographic Principles that lead to Super Pictures” by Claus Nabert;
2. Keynote address, “Cordillera Rituals: Their Features and Significance” by Dr. Caridad B. Fiar-od, Liaison Officer for International Affairs, Mountain Province, Philippines;
3. Special presentation on "The Bulul in the Social Life of the Ifugao People" by Dr. Serafin Ngohayon, President, Ifugao State College of Agriculture and Forestry, Ifugao, Philippines;
4. Presentation of skits on the Igorot Cordillera rituals:
(a) Mountain Province Begnas ceremony by Igorot UK,
(b) Abra wedding by Igorots from Germany and The Netherlands,
(c) Kalinga housewarming by Igorot-Austria,
(d) Ifugao childbirth rituals by Cordi Bel,
(e) Apayao agricultural rituals by BIBAK Switzerland, and
(f) Benguet death rituals by BIBAK Ireland and Rhino Oblas;
5. Speech of H.E. Ambassador Delia Domingo-Albert, “German Scientific Work in the Cordilleras - a Continuing Challenge,” which Mechthild Oblas read because the Ambassador was unable to attend;
6. Comments on the Ambassador‟s speech by Dr. Serafin Ngohayon;
7. Gala Cultural Night coordinated by Norma Bayoya-Wellhausen and Cristabel Bounggick; and
8. Sightseeing tour along the river Rhine with Rhino and Mechthild Oblas as guides.
ICBE published a magazine, “Cordillera Rituals as a Way of Life” as part of the Consultation‟s
Proceedings. The contents are: Cordillera Rituals: Their Features and Significance, Apayao Rituals: Their Features and Significance, Benguet: The Peg-as and Paypay Rituals by Caridad B. Fiar-od, Ph.D.; Mountain Province BEGNAS Ceremony: Its Meaning and Significance by Pamela B. Fiar-od; Tingguian Abra Rituals by Philian Louise Weygan; Keeping the Kalinga Heritage Alive in Rituals by Maria Luz D. Fang-asan, Ph.D.; The Bulul in the Social Life of the Ifugao People by Serafin Ngohayon, Ph.D. & Emily Alberto; Ifugao Rituals: Their Features and Significance by Anastacia Lannaon, Ph.D., Nancy Ann Gonzales, Ph.D., Caridad B. Fiar-od.
The 6th ICBE Consultation will be held in 2011 in London, United Kingdom with Igorot UK as host.