2nd Igorot European Consultation
29 May-1 June 2003
Update on the Igorot International Consultation –5 (IIC-5)
By Nicole Lani Abeya-Barnabas
The Igorot International Consultation-5 (IIC-5), sponsored by the Igorot Global Organization (IGO), will be held from July 1-4, 2004 in St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A.
The theme, “Igorot: St. Louis – To the World”, is to celebrate a century of challenges and accomplishments of Igorots since their participation at the St. Louis World Fair in 1904. With pride and dignity, the Igorot continues his journey to the world. He is strengthened by his values and heritage as he faces new horizons.
The IIC-5 objectives are:
1. To learn about the 1904 journey of the Igorots in the St. Louis World's Fair and how it brought us to the present day.
2. To expand our horizons by partnering with the people of St. Louis.
3. To forge the pathways that lead to enlightenment, never forgetting our dignity.
Venue is the Radisson Hotel in Clayton, Missouri, which is a few minutes away from St. Louis. It is recommended that IIC-5 delegates stay at this hotel. Rates are discounted for delegates who book before May 1, 2004. One can rent a room with two full beds (sleeps four) at $109 plus tax, queen bedroom at $89 plus tax and King bed at $99 plus tax. For further information about the hotel, please go to http://www.radisson.com/stlouismo_clayton
Registration fees are: for 19 years and older - $125; students (13-18) - $100; and 12 years and under - free. There is a $25 discount if one pays before January 31, 2004. The registration fee covers all the meals, expenses for key speakers, rental of conference rooms and audio-visuals, snacks, and other miscellaneous expenses related to the IIC-5. It does not include payment for hotel stay.
In Europe, more information on the registration can be obtained from the following:
Mia Abeya, Chair of the Program Committee, made a draft program. As of August 2003, the details are:
Thursday, July 1, 2004
- Arrival and Registration
- Welcome Reception
- General practice for Friday’s cultural show
Friday, July 2, 2004
- Opening Ceremonies - 6 Winds Conversion – Welcome Oggayam, Receiving Official Welcome Remarks
- 1904 REVISITED by the Historical Museum – Philippine film on Current Day Igorotlandia (by Philippine Delegation)
- IGO General Meeting – IGO Issues, Election, Next Steps
- Cultural Workshops – Dance, Songs, Tapuy, Banga, Woodcarving
- Cultural Show at the History Museum – open to the public
Saturday, July 3, 2004 - “Suggested Topics for Discussion”
- Health for the Igorots (Philippines and Abroad)
- Education for the Igorots
- The Rice Terraces, Our Eroding Heritage?
- Status of the Mother Country - by Congressmen & Women from the Philippines (Roads, Water, Public Health)
- Gala Night
SUNDAY, JULY 4, 2004
- Cultural Mass at the Forest Park
- Tentative “Gangsa in the Park” after the mass
- Tour of St. Louis
If there are other questions, please contact:
Edwin Bondad Abeya
IGO Executive Officer & Chair, IIC-5 Planning Committee
2293 Glenmore Terrace
Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Igorot Global Organization(IGO)