2nd Igorot European Consultation
29 May-1 June 2003
WORKSHOP: CORDILLERA MIGRANTS’ SITUATION in EUROPE
Presented by Ruth Lammawin-Licay
Fernando de Guzman
Susan Nana Atakora
Richard Stone Pooten
As presented by the group, we came up with some contributions to limit this problem (to the undocumented)
- Help can be extended to limit this problem: like endorsing relatives and kailians to diplomats, who may be able to extend their visa so they will be able to work longer.
- Others may be able to seek and get assistance from some Catholic organization and other resources from the respective host country.
- During hard times, in case of death or sickness – we could extend help through voluntary individual assistance like ably or contribution from the church.
- Fund raising – giving assistance or advising them to avoid bad influences or unlawful acts rather, we try to contribute to better quality of work in our host country.
- Through education – know their rights as migrants like educating and explaining able relatives from unfitted jobs or employment. For example, a registered nurse turns out to be an ordinary house help or others.
- Avail of amnesty and exercise your rights. Exercise your right to vote in the host country.
Note: Illegals are better called undocumented or irregulars.